Bealtaine – the month of May – marks the traditional Irish start of summer, with bonfires, flowers and a raft of rituals to ward off evil and promote health and growth. Join Pat Keane as he explores the evolving Irish customs practised during Bealtaine, from ancient times to contemporary festivals.
Welcoming the Summer will be broadcast:
- Friday, April 29th at 5 pm
- Monday, May 2nd at 2 pm
This documentary includes interviews with:
- Máirín Ní Dhonnchadha, Professor of Old and Middle Irish and Celtic Philology at NUI Galway. Interviewed by Pat Keane
- Clodagh Doyle, Curator at the Museum of Country Life in Turlough, Co Mayo. Interviewed by Roderick Maguire
- Fr Frank Fahy, Ballintubber Abbey. Interviewed by Roderick Maguire
- Anne McCarthy, Arts Officer for Mayo County Council, speaking about the annual Bealtaine Festival in Mayo with John Whittle
Produced by Celia Sheridan
This one-hour programme was funded by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland with the Television Licence Fee, in the context of the Sound & Vision scheme.